State Budget Toolkit
The UW-Madison state budget toolkit covers the basics of the 2019-2021 state budget, including the process, the requests from UW-Madison and UW System, details on how you can get involved and important resources.
Email state legislators to show your support for UW-Madison in the next state budget.
The State Budget Process
- The state’s biennial (two-year) budget process can be seen as a continuous cycle, moving from preparation of agency budget requests to submission of the Governor’s budget to legislative authorization of appropriations, to agency expenditure of those appropriations, to review of agency expenditures and then, beginning again, with subsequent agency budget requests.
- The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System reviews budget initiatives as it prepares its biennial budget request. During the Fall of each even numbered year, the Board submits this budget request to the State of Wisconsin Department of Administration.
- UW System Budget Process Overview (PDF)
- November: Agency budget request submitted to the governor. The governor reviews the request.
- February: Governor introduces budget proposal.
- March: Governor releases capital budget.
- April – May: Joint Finance Committee modifies governor’s budget and Capital budget.
- June: Assembly and Senate act on budget.
- July: Governor signs budgets; issues vetoes.
The 2019-2021 Budget Request
- UW-Madison 2019-2021 State Budget Request Overview (PDF)
- UW System 2019-2021 Biennial Budget Request (PDF)
How You Can Help
- Download the UW-Madison State Budget Advocacy Checklist (PDF)
- Explore UW-Madison’s impact across Wisconsin and in individual counties.
- Find and connect with Wisconsin legislators.
- Become a UW Advocate:
- Contact UW-Madison Government Relations staff to discuss your outreach plans and ideas.
State Budget Resources
- UW-Madison Points of Pride (PDF)
- 2018-2019 UW-Madison Budget in Brief (PDF)
- UW-Madison Messaging Themes (PDF)
- UW-Madison State Relations
- Legislative Fiscal Bureau
- Legislative Fiscal Bureau Budget Papers
- 2019-2021 Executive Budget (PDF)
Capital Budget Project Overviews
- Camp Randall Capital Budget Request Overview (PDF)
- Kohl Center Capital Budget Request Overview (PDF)
- Natatorium Capital Budget Request Overview (PDF)
- School of Veterinary Medicine Capital Budget Request Overview (PDF)
- Sellery Hall Capital Budget Request Overview (PDF)
- For budget questions, ideas and outreach planning, contact UW-Madison Government Affairs staff:
- For media questions, visit University Communications or email firstname.lastname@example.org